About Addyi (flibanserin)
Flibanserin is a prescription drug indicated for the treatment of premenopausal women with acquired, generalized hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD), as characterized by low sexual desire that causes marked distress or interpersonal difficulty.
Dosage Considerations – Should be Given as Follows:
Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder
- Indicated for premenopausal women with acquired, generalized hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD) as characterized by low sexual desire that causes marked distress or interpersonal difficulty and is not caused by a coexisting medical or psychiatric condition, problems within the relationship, or the effects of a medication or other drug substance
- 100 mg orally once daily at bedtime
- Dosed at bedtime because administration during waking hours increases risks of hypotension, syncope, accidental injury, and central nervous system depression
- Discontinued after 8 weeks if no improvement.
- insomnia, and
- dry mouth
Other side effects of Addyi include:
- abdominal pain,
- menstrual spotting,
- sedation, and
- spinning sensation (vertigo
How should I use this medication?
The recommended dose of this medication is 100 mg taken by mouth, once daily at bedtime.